Tampa Sex Trafficking Defense Attorneys
Tampa Sex Crime Lawyer Representing Cases Involving Sex Trafficking Offenses
Sex trafficking is a serious offense, punishable by several years in prison. If you were accused of sex trafficking in Tampa, FL, you need an attorney on your side who is experienced in sexual crime defense and who can provide you with the aggressive legal representation you need to surpass your charges. A Tampa sex crime lawyer at our firm can do just that – and more.
Whittel & Melton is comprised of knowledgeable defense lawyers who understand sex crime laws and will protect your rights. Our legal team is comprised of former prosecutors who have successfully handled federal sex crime cases, so you can trust you will be represented by attorneys who have the experience and skills to tackle your allegations and help you surpass them as swiftly and favorably as possible.
Contact us today for a FREE consultation to discuss your defense options now.
What Is Sex Trafficking?
In Tampa and throughout Florida, sex trafficking can encompass a number of offenses. These can include the kidnapping, transportation, coercion, blackmailing, or recruiting of a minor or adult for sexual purposes. In some cases, victims may be drugged for the purposes of performing the sexual acts.
Sexual human trafficking can involve the unwilling and/or forceful use of the victim for:
- Sexual entertainment, such as stripping or other sexually explicit performance
- Sexual labor or sexual slavery
- The sale of the person to another for sexual purposes
Common Tactics Used By Sex Traffickers
Aside from kidnapping a minor or adult for sex trafficking purposes, assailants may use a number of other tactics to persuade or lure victims into performing sexual acts. Most of these tactics involve the use of violence or threats.
Tactics can include:
- Threatening to use physical harm against the victim or their loved ones
- Threatening to tamper with the victim’s job or offering a promotion in exchange for sexual acts
- Threats of imprisonment or restraint
- Threatening to starve the victim
- Death threats
- Threatening to implicate the victim in a crime they did not commit
- Threatening to either take or provide financial resources to the victim
- Threatening the victim’s immigration status or offering to grant a visa
- The use of physical force or assault
- The use of drugs to incapacitate the victim into performing the sexual acts
Penalties for Sex Trafficking in Tampa
Sex trafficking penalties can vary, depending on the sexual act involved as well as the age of the victim. However, all include severe punishments that can have life-long consequences for those convicted. For these reasons, it is crucial that anyone facing a sex trafficking crime consult with a Tampa sex crime lawyer immediately.
Punishments for sex trafficking can include:
- Second or first-degree felony
- 15 to 30 years in prison
- Fines averaging $10,000
- Mandatory registration as a sex offender
Contact an Experienced Tampa Sex Crime Lawyer Now to Fight Your Charges
Sex trafficking charges carry multiple consequences aside from criminal penalties. Those convicted may lose their job and have difficulty obtaining new employment. If you or someone you know has been accused of this type of sexual offense, seek legal help right away with an experienced sex crime lawyer in Tampa. Time is of the essence when contesting sex trafficking charges, so contact our firm today to schedule a FREE consultation. We are available by phone at 866-608-5529 or online right now and will begin working on the best possible legal defense for your case immediately.