Miami Sex Crimes Attorney Handling Sexual Abuse Cases
Were you accused of sexual abuse in Miami, Florida? Was someone you love charged with a sex crime? If so, an experienced Miami sex crimes attorney can help you contest the charges to reduce or even eliminate the allegations against you.
The experienced attorneys at Whittel & Melton provide aggressive criminal defense for persons accused of sexual crimes in Miami, including groping, molestation, sexual assault, and rape. We fight for a reduction or complete dismissal of the charges you are facing so you can avoid the severe criminal and financial penalties associated with a sexual abuse conviction. Contest your criminal charges today; contact us now for a FREE consultation so we can get begin crafting the best legal defense possible for your case.
What Types of Actions Are Classified as Sexual Abuse in Miami?
In Miami, as well as throughout Florida, several types of actions can be considered as sexual abuse. The one factor in common between all sexual abuse offenses is that they are all forceful and unwanted. Sexual abuse crimes can range from verbal to physical incidents, as can the severity of the offense. A Miami sex crimes attorney at Whittel & Melton can provide you with the superior legal counsel you need for all forms of sexual abuse allegations, including, but not limited to:
- Requests for sexual favors
- Quid pro quo (this for that) sexual requests at work
- Physical sexual assault
- Verbal sexual harassment, including jokes or derogatory comments of a sexual nature
- Any unwelcome sexual advance
- Lewd sexual comments at a workplace
- Exposing genitals to another person
- Sending sexually explicit text messages, emails, or photos
- Unwanted and unwelcomed touching or kissing
What Are the Penalties for Sexual Abuse in Miami, FL?
The penalties for a sexual abuse conviction in Miami can vary, depending on the severity of the crime and the age of the victim. For example, those convicted of a sexual crime against a minor can expect much more severe consequences. Below are the different types of penalties and fees a sexual abuse conviction can carry:
- Adult sexual abuse offenses: 15 years to life in prison
- Child sexual abuse offenses
- If the child is 11 years of age or younger: Mandatory 25 years to life in prison (death sentence may be imposed in certain circumstances)
- If the child is 12 years of age or older: Up to 15 years in prison
- Second-degree felony: Up to $10,000
- Capital felony: Up to $15,000
Accused of Sexual Abuse? Contact an Experienced Miami Sex Crimes Attorney to Contest Your Charges Now
A sexual abuse accusation has the potential to ruin a person’s life, even if they are not convicted. Upon conviction, the consequences become much more severe. Aside from criminal penalties and fines, those convicted of a sexual crime may be required to register with the National Sex Offender Registry, may lose their jobs or face difficulty obtaining new employment, among other social stigmas.